Monday, September 3, 2012

A new Miniature Fairy House made of Driftwood

I had someone ask me if I could maybe make a fairy house out of driftwood.  I really hadn't made a fairy house from scratch so I wasn't sure if I could handle it.  I live right on the Mississippi River so where there be water, there be driftwood :)  I thought, why not?  I'll give it a go and see what happens.  So I asked my Dad if he could take me for a spin on the river and see what we could find.  A hike up a distant steep bank in the middle of nowhere and a heart attack later, I had a reasonable pile of driftwood that might be usable.  Haha, just kidding.  I didn't have a heart attack really, unless you count climbing over piles of driftwood and loose rocks that gave me the feeling I might run into a snake at any moment or go tumbling down the loose rocks into the river.  I had more than my fair share of panicky flutterings and near misses :)  Anywho, we got some driftwood and so began my experiment with fairy house building.  Of course there was none "house-shaped" or anywhere close to that.  Yay.  Here's what I have so far, and I have so much more to do to it.  A series of rope/twig ladders will be added to go from landing to landing, and more furniture will be built.  The whole point of this one is "natural" not cutesy.  More natural colors, less man-made things around it.  I have plans for a viney candelabra with drippy candles hanging from a high point down above the "room" area below.  And so much more moss and more twig furniture.  Etc.




      This will change a lot, this is a very basic start of what is to come.  All sorts of plans will come into play before the end and it'll really turn into a little habitat.  And it's quite large, 23 inches tall and 15 inches wide and deep, roughly.

I'l still be working on the Alice table in between this because I get burnt out and bounce back and forth between the two projects:)

Thanks for your comments everyone, I do read them even if I don't have a lot of time to comment back.  I've got lots going on around my house with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc.  Busy Mom stuff, you all know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. What are those mushroom looking levels(or awning) at each level made from? I am trying to make a little hobbit hose of my own and any help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete