Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Miniature Under the Sea Mermaid's Dowry Chest complete :)


First of all, a belated welcome to my newest followers!  Welcome dears!  It's nice to have you around :)

Secondly I know I just blogged yesterday but I got a new piece done and also wanted to explain my next two projects in more detail.

Here's my under the sea themed mermaid's dowry chest I just finished up:



Nothing on this has been left untouched, it's decorated everywhere as though a beautiful mermaid has stashed away her most precious treasures in this secret bejeweled hiding place :) The large gilded sculptural piece on the top of the chest is actually a gorgeous art deco mermaid and flowers done in polymer clay by me. The other things are jewels, shells, pearls, sea plants, beach glass cabochons, metal filigree, sand, glitter, and a sea-washed painted finish I've applied. You won't find another like this anywhere ever again. Inside the chest are a variety of special bottles holding a mermaid's secrets such as mermaid's tears, mermaid's scales, locks of her flowing hair, even a message in a bottle with blank parchment that may be pulled carefully out with tweezers, and you may add on your own secret message for a loved one, etc. Even the inside bottom of the chest is decorated with faux water, pearls, shells, a tiny turtle, stone, and a blue beaded necklace (none of which is removable) and the bottles sit right on top of it and those can be taken out of the chest.


Measurements are as follows: a little over 3 inches tall, 3 1/2 inches wide, and 2 1/4 inches deep.
Available here in my shop:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/86188357/dollhouse-miniature-under-the-sea



And finally, in my excitement over the last installment of the Harry Potter movies that was just released I'm doing a few more HP minis.  I found a taller and more realistic pine tree that looks like one you would find outside and runs somewhere between 8 and 9 inches tall that would be perfect as an outside tree (or just as a free-standing decoration on it's own) that's quite lovely without anything on it.  I don't have a picture yet but I'll get one later when I'm less tired.  I stay up too late working on minis in my only truly free time of my own-night time.  Anyways, it makes me think it would make a truly impressive outdoor Hogsmeade Village tree covered in things from the shops there.  I'm going to do my homework and find out what sorts of things should be included from each shop.  If anyone has any ideas please speak up!  Now that I know how to make fake snow that looks realistic and puffy I'll do the base in snow and make a "Welcome to Hogsmeade Village" sign to go beside it.  I can't wait to show you this neat tree and what I plan to do to it as I go along working on it!  

Also this is sort of strange I guess but I have a mind to try it just to see if I can pull it off.  
Maybe you remember this from the first movie?
This would be Professor Quirrel teaching defense against the dark arts.  See what he's holding?  I'm planning on trying to make a miniature iguana in a Hogwarts style enclosure.  Something that looks as though it would fit right into this dark and somewhat sinister classroom.  I have NO idea if I can do this, so it might not turn out :)  But I'll never know unless I try, right?  Basically the point is to see if I can do a lizard.  I want to try out some animals in the future to see how I do at them when I'm concentrating totally on the animal itself.  Not within the context of a huge amount of work left on the total miniature scene I'm building around it, where I might slack off on how good the animal is in the grand scheme of trying to finish up an elaborate larger piece.  So we'll see if it's worth a crap in the end :)  If not, I guess I'll live to try a different animal in the future!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment