Monday, October 4, 2010

Repurposing vintage decorations

I love revamping old things into something new.  So when I came across a vintage Christmas light I decided to give it a Halloween face-lift.  Here's where I started:
Yikes, fuzzy stock photo!
But what I had was exactly the same.

Here's where I decided to do:

I painted some (unused) aquarium rock darker gray.

I repainted the base and candlesticks and started adding on rocks
and a molded piece of polymer clay in the form of a gothic bat.
I changed out the old regular bulbs for way cooler flicker bulbs that look like flames.

I made larger rocks out of tin foil and paper mache.  I made skulls and bones of polymer clay and added metal crosses.

I was going for a Dracula's Castle sort of look, after the vampire hunters had been there :)
Perhaps there should have been more blood, but I didn't want to overdo it.


I just love giving an old item a new and different life!

9 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love those light bulbs, where did you find those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wal-mart hardware section :) This sold an hour after I put it up in my store so yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its fab Tara so I can see why it sold so quickly, great ideas as always! Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. you clever thing, those look absolutly fab! Very well done!

    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me gusta la idea que tubo consiguió un candelabro genial.
    un abrazo

    I like the idea that tube got a great chandelier.
    a hug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! Feel free to give me feedback on my stuff including ideas of your own as to what I could have done or should do on any given project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that sold fast! Yea Tara, that was a totally original piece. I will check Wal Mart for those bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que gran idea.
    Te ha quedado realmente fantastico, se podria aprovechar para hacer en mini.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quantum Binary Signals

    Professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Follow our trades NOW & profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete